Discover the opportunities available in our Department of Physics.
The physics department has an international reputation in a wide range of research area:
- Particle Physics and Astrophysics
- Accelerator Physics
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Quantum Technologies
- Quantum Materials
- Low Temperature Physics
- Nanophysics and Nanotechnologies
Visit our research group webpages for more information on our activities and opportunities for postgraduate and postdoc research. You may also find links to external funding sources below.
We have many funded PhD projects. Information for postgraduate studies at Royal Holloway can be found here. Fill free to contact us to discuss your application. There are also studentship opportunities:
- Students from abroad to study in UK: search site
- STFC CASE Studentships for collaboration with industry. Typical deadline: early Oct.
- Schlumberger faculty for the future for women from developing countries. Typical deadline: Nov.
- Marshall Scholarship for students from USA wishing to study in the UK. Typical deadline: early Spring
- Fulbright Scholarship for 1-yr visit during postgraduate study to a US university. With other US-UK exchanges as well. Typical deadline: Aug.
- Chevening scholarships for students from abroad
- Canadian scholarship fund for students from Canada
- CSCUK for students from Commonwhealth countries
IOP Bell Burnell Graduate Scholarship for under-represented groups. Typical deadline: end of January. Our department has an internal selection process, therefore students should first send us their application in a timely manner before deadline.
We have many funded Postdoct projects. Please contact the research groups. There are also fellowship opportunities available for postdoc research.
- Newton International Fellowship (Royal Society)for non-UK nationals wishing to do postdoctoral research in the UK. Typical deadline: April
- Marie Curie Incoming International Fellows Grant / Intra-European Fellows / International Outgoing Fellows Typical deadline: March / Sept.
- Exhibition of 1851 Fellowship for UK nationals. Typical deadline: Feb.
- Marshall Sheffield Fellowship for nationals of USA. Typical deadline: Oct.
- NSERC Visiting Fellowships in Canadian National Laboratories Program postdoctoral fellowships for all nationalities. Rolling deadline.
- Matsumae Foundation research programme: postdoctoral fellowships in Japan, deadline: Aug.
- JSPS Fellowships: for nationals from Japan to do research abroad (and vice versa). see webpage for deadlines
- Other awards / partial postdoctoral funding:
- L'oreal UK Fellowships research funding for women postdocs in UK and Ireland, typical deadline: Feb.
- Fulbright Fellowship various kinds of awards for US-UK collaboration. Typical deadline: Aug.
- For Swedish and Italian nationals, there are post-doctoral grants available from the Foundation Blanceflor Boncompagni-Ludovisi.
- American Fellowships (AAUW) funding for US women 1 year postdoctoral fellowship
- UK-India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI) Research Fellowships (for Indian based post-doctoral scientists, up to 12 months).
- Royal Society Asia Fellowships (nationals of China, India, Japan, South Korea, Brunei, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) see RS webpage
- Royal Society North America Fellowships (nationals of Canada and USA) see RS webpage
Postdoc Research (advanced post-doctoral funding)
The following postdoctoral research fellowships are targeted to more advanced postdocs willing to start their independent research activity.
- Royal Society - University Research Fellowships for those in the UK at least 2 yrs. Typical deadline: Sept.
- Royal Society - Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowship aimed at people who need flexibility, for all nationalities with UK-based research experience. Typical deadline: January
- Leverlhulme Early Career Fellowships for those already in the UK, or having a UK degree. Note: internal RHUL selection process in Dec./Jan., Typical deadline: March
- Marie Curie Career Integration Grant (CIG) CIG for non-EU nationals moving to EU. (also see Marie Curie European Reintegration Grants (ERGs) for EU nationals who have been Marie Curie Fellows and International Reintegration Grants (IRGs) for EU nationals who have been outside the EU for 3+ years.) Typical deadline: March
- STFC Rutherford Fellowships Typical deadline: Sept.
- EPSRC Fellowship offered in specific disciplines.
- Royal Society Industry Fellowship for knowledge transfer in science and technology between those in industry and those in academia. It provides opportunities for an academic scientist to work on a collaborative project with industry, or someone employed in industry to work on a collaborative project with a university department. Typical deadline: October
- Royal Academy of Engineering Fellowships Typical deadline: Sept.