One scholarship is available for a new undergraduate student studying for a single or joint honours degree in the Department of English (see the full list of eligible courses below).
The scholarship is a £6,000 cash award (payable over three years) and is available to Black UK students with Home fee status.
Am I eligible?
You must have achieved, or be predicted to achieve, high grades in A-level or equivalent. As a guide, previous applicants have achieved, or been predicted, AAA or equivalent.
You must have one of the following categories of ethnicity: Black African; Black Caribbean; Black Other; Mixed – White and Black Caribbean; Mixed – White and Black African; or Other mixed background (to include Black African, Black Caribbean or Black Other).
You must hold a current conditional or unconditional offer to study one of our following degree courses:
- BA English
- BA English and Drama
- BA English and Philosophy
- BA English and Latin
- BA English and History
- BA English with Philosophy
- BA Music and English
- BA English and Film Studies
- BA English and Classical Studies
- BA English and American Literature
- BA English and Creative Writing
- BA Modern Languages and English
- BA Comparative Literature and Culture and English
- BA American Literature and Creative Writing
- BA Drama and Creative Writing
- BA English and Digital Arts
The scholarship is one of several initiatives that we are undertaking as part of our Race Equality Charter, and is a positive action measure under s.158 of the Equality Act 2010.
The scholarship also acts to address the gap in under-represented groups of students, as set out in our Access and Participation Plan.
How do I apply?
Applications for 2021 entry have now closed.
Applicants will be made aware of the outcome of their applications from 24 May, 2021.
Please provide a supporting statement of no longer than 400 words, which should include:
- academic achievements you are particularly proud of and why these really matter to you
- why you have chosen to do the degree you have applied for
- what your future aspirations are and how the scholarship will help you to achieve your future goals
Your statement will be judged on how effectively and convincingly you respond to the above.