Skip to main content

Tier 4 (General) student visa

Search Royal Holloway

Tier 4 (General) student visa

You will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa if you are an international student from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to study a full-time course of more than six months.

To apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa you will need to meet specific criteria. Tier 4 is part of the points based system of immigration in the UK, meaning that you have to obtain a certain number of points to be eligible for the visa. Tier 4 requires 40 points made up from:

  • A CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) from Royal Holloway, University of London (30 points)
  • Documents demonstrating the required finances (living costs and tuition fees) (10 points)

A Tier 4 (General) visa will cost £348 in your local currency but this fee may rise if you apply for the visa using your country’s premium/fast track services. As part of the visa application you will need to:

  • Submit your online application form (unless you are applying from North Korea, where you will need to complete a paper application form)
  • Submit all of the relevant documentation for your application
  • Provide your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph)
  • Decide where you would like your BRP to be delivered 

Explore Royal Holloway