Skip to main content

Visitors (Standard Visitor visas)

Search Royal Holloway

Visitors (Standard Visitor visas)

If a member of your family or a friend from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland wants to visit you during your studies, they will need to enter the UK on a Standard Visitor visa.

If you are visiting the UK after your studies, for example, to attend a graduation ceremony, you will need to use this option yourself.

Does your visitor need a visa?

Your visitors may need to apply for a visa before coming to the UK. They can check here whether they need a visa.  If they do need a visa, they must apply on the Home Office website - choosing ‘Tourism’ as their reason for coming to the UK. There is guidance here about the documents they will need to support their application. As well as the documents listed, your visitor will need to submit a copy of your Student Status Certificate from Campus Connect.

If your visitors do not need a visa, they will still need to show that they meet the requirements to enter as a Standard Visitor when they arrive at UK Border Control. If asked, they should have evidence of:

  • the reason for their visit:
  • the length of their stay
  • the funds to pay for their stay (best to use the funding amounts for Tier 4 visas as a guide)
  • their relationship with you as a visitor

Explore Royal Holloway