Skip to main content

International exchange

International Exchange

Experience a year studying abroad

If you’re a first or second year student at Royal Holloway, you can apply to spend a year abroad under the International Exchange programme.

Where can I go?

We have exchange agreements with universities in Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Mexico and the USA. Find out who our international exchange partners are below.

Who is eligible to apply?

The selection process is quite competitive. We look for students who are:

  • academically able
  • culturally adaptable and can act as ambassadors for Royal Holloway
  • capable of deriving maximum benefit from a year abroad

Will my year abroad count towards my degree?

Yes, you can only apply to do an international exchange as an integral year i.e. your year abroad will count towards your degree. 

Will I still have to pay tuition fees?

  • If you take your exchange year as an integral year, you will have to pay tuition fees to Royal Holloway but at a considerably reduced rate.
  • You won’t have to pay any tuition fees to your host university overseas.

What about PhD students?

PhD students are also eligible to do an international exchange. For example, if you’re studying for a PhD in History or English, you can apply to go to Yale. Please note that:

  • During your exchange year, you will pay full tuition fees to Royal Holloway
  • The time you spend abroad must not add any additional time to your studies.

How do I apply for an International Exchange?

The process for applying begins every autumn with the Global Experiences Fair, where you are able to meet the students who have just returned from their exchange year at our partner universities. The application window closes on the last day of term 1. 

We recommend that you:

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones.

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start.

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help.

Discover more about our academic departments and schools.

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway.

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future.

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today.

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable.

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today.