Duration: 4 years full time
Institution code: R72
UK fees: £4,500
International/EU fees: £17,800
We undertake research at the cutting edge of management thinking through our own specialist themes and subject groups. We frequently collaborate with industrial and commercial research partners, as well as academic colleagues at other institutions (both in the UK and further afield) and in other departments within Royal Holloway.
Group members are also active within the academic research community, making regular contributions at conferences and in the pages of the leading academic journals in their fields.
The School of Business and Management is associated with the pursuit of research excellence across three research centres and three research themes. Whilst the majority of students pursue qualitative methods some students pursue mixed methods or quantitative methods.
Information on what you need to study for a PhD can be found on the Postgraduate Research page.
Research facilities and environment
Colleagues in the School of Business and Management pursue research as members of one or more of our research centres or theme groups.
Our research centres
- Centre for critical and historical research on organisation and society (CRIS)
- Digital Organisation and Society Research Centre (DOS)
- Centre for Research Into Sustainability
Our theme groups
- Intercultural and international perspectives on management
- Knowledge and organisational learning
- Working life
A full list of our researchers, publications and projects can be found here.
Full-time PhD students have an annual review and also a semi-annual review (SAR) every year. Part-time PhD students have an annual review. The SARs and annual reviews are opportunities to reflect upon progress and achievements as well as to set goals for the coming six to twelve months.
Students are required to attend and pass three research methods courses as part of the upgrade process to the PhD route. Specifically, students need to attend and pass Philosophy of Methods, Qualitative Research Methods for Doctoral Students, and Quantitative Research Methods for Doctoral Students.
The upgrade time scale and process is in accordance with Royal Holloway processes and guidelines.
We are committed to attracting high-quality PhD students and as such you will need to meet our entry criteria. These are:
- Usually an undergraduate degree at 2.1 level and a Masters with Merit
- A high-quality research proposal
- A credible personal statement
- Strong performance at interview
English language requirements
All teaching at Royal Holloway is in English. You will therefore need to have good enough written and spoken English to cope with your studies right from the start.
The scores we require
- IELTS: 6.5 overall. Writing 7.0. No other subscore lower than 5.5.
- Pearson Test of English: 61 overall. Writing 69. No other subscore lower than 51.
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (ISE): ISE III.
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) grade C.
- TOEFL ib: 88 overall, with Reading 18 Listening 17 Speaking 20 Writing 26.
For more information about country-specific entry requirements for your country please see here.
Your future career
Graduating PhD students have gone on to junior academic positions with the following institutions:
- Lancaster University Management School
- Loughborough University
- Queen Mary University
- Coventry University
- Northampton University
- Roehampton University
- Brunel University
- Oxford Brookes University
- Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
- King Faisal University
- Princess Nourah University
- the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce
- Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- the International Islamic University Malaysia
- University of Lagos
- University of Sheffield
- University of Sussex
They have also progressed to mid-level academic positions, such as Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor, with the following institutions:
- Southampton University
- Universiti Utara Malaysia
- University of Greenwich
- Kingston University
- Liverpool John Moores University
- Northumbria University
- Portsmouth University
- Sheffield Hallam University
- the University of Westminster
- National Chengchi University, Taiwan
Some have been appointed to high-level professorial positions with the following institutions:
- Chester University
- Prince Mohammad Bin Salman College of Business and Entrepreneurship.
Fees & funding
Home and EU students tuition fee per year*: £4,500
International students tuition fee per year**: £17,800
Other essential costs***: There no additional costs in excess of £50 per item.
The School offers a limited number of merit-based scholarships that contribute towards tuition fees and/or maintenance. These scholarships are highly competitive. Applicants are expected to have an outstanding track record of academic achievements and research potential.
The scholarship application deadline for January 2022 entrants is 30th September 2021. Download the application form here.
This course is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). This means your qualification is recognised in the industry, giving you a competitive edge when applying for jobs.