Placement scheme for second years
We have an optional competitive and selective work placement scheme for our second-year students on single, joint and combined honours degree programmes, offering several short placements to be held after second year exams within a broad range of employment fields. This wide ranging scheme is unusual for a Classics department in a UK university.
Our Employability Manifesto
Our 'Employability Manifesto' is in collaboration with the Careers Service and the Classical Society.
The Classics department has a commitment:
- to offer top quality careers advice, tailored to those taking degrees in our department, both undergraduate and postgraduate;
- to integrate transferable and employability skills training into all our teaching;
- to offer a dedicated research and employability skills course embedded in the first year curriculum;
- to offer a departmental competitive work placement scheme for second year undergraduates;
- to raise students’ awareness of the employability skills that they acquire during our degree, and their ability to articulate them in a career context;
- to offer departmental-specific training workshops;
- to foster contacts with graduates from our department (alumni) to provide networking opportunities and advice to current students;
- to encourage students to share experience of applications for jobs, internships etc; and
- to promote actively Royal Holloway's Passport Scheme for rewarding co-curricular activities which develop employability skills.
- we offer careers support