Department of Mathematics and Information Security Group Equality and Diversity Committee
The Equality and Diversity Committee meets termly. It is also the Strategic Action Team for Athena SWAN. We applied successfully for an Athena SWAN Bronze award in October 2020. We have published the redacted bid and are committed to implementing the action plan.
The representatives in 2020–2021 are: Katarina Finnis, Erin Hales, Jo Hible, Catherine Keele, Peter Komisarczuk, Iain Moffatt, Tabitha Ogilvie, Rüdiger Schack, Mark Wildon (Equality and Diversity Champion), and Stephen Wolthusen.
We support the WISDOM group.
Aim: The Equality and Diversity Committee will promote fairness and equality and prevent discrimination, such as on the grounds of gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation. Issues in these areas may be raised with the committee. We will push for improvements in policies in the Mathematics Department, Information Security Group, School and University as part of the Athena Swan agenda.
Induction video: Why we should all talk about Equality and Diversity by Mark Wildon to all new EPMS students.
- Royal Holloway training session
- Royal Society briefing on unconscious bias for members of appointment panels
- Harvard Project Implicit
- Stanford lab manager study (overview) Why does John get the STEM job rather than Jennifer? (full paper)
- Reducing bias in faculty searches (AMS Newsletter, December 2017)
- Unconscious bias training (Report from the Equality and Human Rights Commission)
The Implicit Associated Test has been much debated but remains an eye opening way to start learning about implicit bias. Take the test here.
Black Lives Matter
- How Gender and Race Stereotypes Impact the Advancement of Scholars in STEM: Professors’ Biased Evaluations of Physics and Biology Post-Doctoral Candidates, Sex Roles 82 (2020) 127-141. Eaton et al.
- What is White Privilege, Really? Cory Collins.
- White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack, Peggy McIntosh.
- What we can do to support anti-racism in the UK. Insight.