Skip to main content

After your studies

After your studies

If you want to work in the UK after your studies, you’ll need to apply for a visa to do so. There are a number of different routes available.

The list of available options below is not exhaustive, but these are the routes that students most commonly opt for/enquire about.

The Graduate visa also commonly known as the Post-Study Work Visa (PSW) is an unsponsored visa route, which means you do not need to have secured a job or found a sponsor (employer) before you apply.

The Graduate visa is one of the most popular options for Royal Holloway students after they finish their studies with us and we help hundreds of students every year transition over to this immigration route. 

You can read our detailed guidance here

The Innovator Founder visa is for graduates who wish to start their own business in the UK. 

Your business idea must be 

  • new - you cannot join a business that is already trading
  • innovative - you must have an original business idea which is different from anything else on the market
  • viable, with potential for growth
  • scalable - you must give evidence of planning that includes creating jobs and growing into national and international markets

Before applying for the visa, you must gain an endorsement from 1 of the 3 endoring bodies recognised by the UK government. 

Envestors Limited

UK Endorsing Services

Innovator International

Innovator visas are granted for an initial 3 year period and can be extended providing that the you receive further endorsement from a recognised body (see above). 

The Innovator visa is a fast track to settlement meaning that you are eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after having spent 3 years in the UK on this visa (see below). 

While holding this visa you are permitted to 

  • set up a business or several businesses
  • work for your business 
  • carry out other employment outside your business
  • bring your depedents 

The Skilled Worker visa is the most common form of immigration permission held by those who wish to seek full-time permanent employment in the UK. 

The Skilled Worker Visa is part of the UK’s 'Points Based Immigration System'. To be granted the visa your must be awarded 70 points

Mandatory categories

  • 20 points – have a job offer from an approved sponsor
  • 20 points – the offer must be for a suitable job
  • 10 points – speak English at the required level

Total 50 points

Optional/Tradable categories

The final 20 points need to be obtained from any of or a combination of the following categories: 

  • 10 or 20 points – For finding a job with an appropriate annual salary. The level of salary you are required to reach depends upon the job in question whether it is on the shortage occupation list and whether you are classed as a 'new entrant' at the point of application
  • 20 points – a PhD in a STEM subject relevant to the job
  • 10 points – any other PhD in a subject relevant to the job.

The Global Talent visa is for graduates who are internationally recognised or likely to become world leaders in arts and culture, humanities and social sciences, natural sciences and medical science research, engineering or digital technology.

Most applicants must receive an endorsement from a designated body. The endorsing body you need to approach will depend upon which field you are planning to work in. 

If you are the holder of one of the prizes listed in Appendix Global Talent: Prestigious Prizes then you will not need an endorsement prior to making your visa application. 

The Careers & Employability Service can help prepare you for work in the UK. Their Services include:

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones.

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start.

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help.

Discover more about our 21 departments and schools.

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway.

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future.

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today.

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable.

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today.