Follow our step-by-step guide to apply for a Study Abroad programme.
Check your email regularly for messages from Royal Holloway. We recommend that you disable spam filters or add the Royal Holloway domain name to a 'safe list' to ensure that emails from us are not classified as junk mail.
Find out what you need to do to apply for a visa.
You can find out academic term dates here. The move-in date for the autumn term is usually the Saturday or Sunday before the first day of term. The Spring term move-in date is usually the Thursday before the first day of term.
Need to improve your English?
Our Pre-sessional English language programmes can bring your English up to the level you need to join us at Royal Holloway.
Need help filling in your online application? Not sure about something? Contact us at email@example.com. We’re here to help.
Step 1 - Make sure you meet our entry requirements
First, check you meet our minimum entry requirements:
- You should normally have completed at least one year of university study
- The minimum entry requirement for most departments is equivalent to a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 (out of 4.0).
- Our History, English and Drama & Theatre departments usually ask for a GPA of 3.3 out of 4.0.
- You can find out the specific requirements for a particular course unit on our Choose your course pages.
English language requirements
We require the following minimum standard level of English for direct entry to our credit-bearing courses:
- IELTS: 6.5 overall (with no subscore below 5.5)
- Pearson: 61 (with 54 in writing and no subscore below 51)
If your IELTS level is between 6.0 and 6.5, and you’re applying to start in September, you can take a four or eight-week Pre-sessional English language programme to bring your English up to the required level.
- To apply as a Masters student, first look at the department where you want to study for information on postgraduate courses.
- Next, contact the Study Abroad team direct regarding your course choices (you can disregard ‘Step 2 - Choose your course’ below).
- Apply online - see Step 3 below.
Step 2 - Choose your courses
- Take a look at our course information and find out what options are available.
- If you want to join us for a full year, you should choose courses that total at least 5-6 course units. If you’re joining us for just one or two terms, you should choose courses that total 3-4 course units.
- Consult with your Study Abroad advisor when making your course choices.
- Please be aware that some courses are more popular than others and we can’t guarantee that you’ll be able to get a place on all the courses you request.
Step 3 - Apply online
- To register and apply, complete our online application form.
- You will also need to send us copies of the following supporting documents:
- An authorised transcript of your university studies
- An English translation of your transcript (if necessary)
- Two academic references
- Proof that you meet our English language requirements (see Step 1)
- A photocopy of the personal details page of your passport
- Please ask your advisor to let us know about your upcoming application by completing our Partner Universities Nomination Form.
- Our deadlines for applications are:
- 24 May for September starters
- 24 October for January starters
We can’t accept applications after these dates.
Step 4 - Accept your Offer and Study Plan
- We’ll send you an offer by email. This offer will be subject to satisfactory agreement of your course choices.
- Once you’ve accepted your offer, we will send your course requests to the relevant academic departments for their consideration. In some cases (for example, where there are no spaces on a course), they may suggest an alternative course.
- Once you’ve agreed your course choices, we will then send you a Study Plan to accept. This will show the courses you will study during your time at Royal Holloway. (Very occasionally, slight changes may need to be made to your Study Plan during your first week due to timetable clashes or other unforeseen circumstances.)
Step 5 - Apply for accommodation
- As soon as you’ve accepted your offer from us, you can register on our accommodation portal and apply for accommodation.
- As a Study Abroad student, you are guaranteed campus accommodation provided you apply before the deadline.
- See our accommodation pages to see the different options you can choose.
- For all accommodation queries, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.