Skip to main content

Mathematics with Philosophy

Search Royal Holloway

Mathematics with Philosophy

  • UCAS code G1V5
  • Option 3 years full time
  • Year of entry 2021

The course

This three-year course combines two of the most fundamental and intellectually stimulating forms of human enquiry. The idea of using mathematics to describe the universe was first introduced by the philosophers of ancient Greece but it is as relevant as ever today. Questions such as "What is a number?" or "Is mathematics discovered or invented?" are deeply philosophical. By studying both subjects you will not only master the skills of handling complex data and finding creative solutions to problems, but you will also be introduced to the beautiful world of abstract ideas, and encouraged to analyse challenging issues, question your assumptions and communicate your thoughts with clarity. You will gain a unique insight into the world of logic that bridges the two disciplines and you will open doors to a diverse range of career opportunities.

Our modular structure gives you the flexibility to tailor your studies to your own interests, and we offer a friendly and motivating learning environment, with a strong focus on small group teaching. Mathematics is one of the oldest academic disciplines and yet it sits at the heart of modern science and technology. Led by experts in the field, our core modules will give you a grounding in the key methods and concepts that underpin the subject, as well as practical skills that are widely transferable in the world of work. Our curriculum covers pure and applied mathematics, statistics and probability, the mathematics of information, financial markets, and more.

You'll also learn about the fundamentals of ancient and modern philosophy, the philosophy of politics, and the art of argument and persuasion. We address some of the most important political, cultural and ethical issues in the world today and tackle fundamental questions about knowledge, reasoning, our views on the universe and the impacts they have on our lives. We also have a vibrant Philosophy Society. We take a uniquely collaborative and interdisciplinary approach to the subject, by looking beyond the confines of the analytic or European tradition to disciplines across the art, humanities and social sciences. You will learn from seasoned philosophers who are published authorities in their field.

Your mathematical studies will make up 75% of your overall degree, while philosophy will contribute the remaining 25%.

Our flexible degree programmes enable you to apply to take a Placement Year, which can be spent studying abroad, working or carrying out voluntary work. You can even do all three if you want to (minimum of three months each)! To recognise the importance of this additional skills development and university experience, your Placement Year will be formally recognised on your degree certificate and will contribute to your overall result. Please note conditions may apply if your degree already includes an integrated year out, please contact the Careers & Employability Service for more information. Find out more

  • Study two of the world’s oldest and most widely applicable academic subjects.
  • Learn from renowned mathematicians and inspirational philosophy teachers, with the flexibility to tailor your studies to your own interests.
  • Our philosophy courses are taught in a lively international community of students in the Department of Politics and International Relations.
  • Benefit from our strong focus on small group teaching.


Institute of Mathematics and its Applications

This course is accredited by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA). On successful completion of the programme, you will to meet, in part, the educational requirements for Chartered Mathematician status.


Percentage of our graduates in work or undertaking further study within six months of leaving.

Source: DLHE, 2017


Percentage of our mathematics students who are satisfied overall.

Source: NSS, 2017

Explore Royal Holloway