Skip to main content

Entry requirements

Entry requirements

Our students come from many different countries. We accept a wide range of qualifications. We assess every applicant on their individual merits, but there are minimum qualifications.

GCE AS and A-Levels

We require A-level students to pass three subjects. Each course has different grade requirements. See what grades you need in our course finder.

The course finder shows the minimum grades needed. You may find your particular offer requires higher grades.

International Baccalaureate

We welcome students who have taken both the IB Diploma and IB Career-related Programme (IBCP).

Each degree sets its own minimum IB offer which you can check on our course finder.

We recognise this qualification can take many forms. For prior oversight of your Careers-Programme combinations and their suitability for your desired course, please reach out to Admissions at

Scottish Advanced Highers

If you’re studying the Scottish Advanced Highers, you’re expected to achieve at least three passes.

Grades required will vary by department and can be found on the UCAS course listing.


For UK students, we expect at least five GCSE passes at grades A* to C or 9 – 4 including Maths and English.


None of our Undergraduate courses currently require an Interview as part of a standard application.

If you don’t meet our typical entry requirements, we have a list of alternative entry qualifications that we accept.

These include:

QAA recognised Access to Higher Education Certificates or Diplomas; the European Baccalaureate, Welsh Baccalaureate, BTEC/Edexel National Diploma, T-Levels, CACHE Diploma, International Advanced Levels, NVQs and other overseas qualifications.

For further information check the UCAS course listing or contact us using Unibuddy.

We welcome applications from international students whose qualifications match our entry requirements for courses.

Check your country’s entry requirements.

English language qualifications

If English isn't your first language, you’ll need to demonstrate your English language level through a recognised qualification.

If your language results are slightly below the required level, you may have the chance to attend a pre-sessional English language course - so you won't need to retake any exams or tests.

If your secondary education took place in an English-speaking country, or in English (such as International A-levels) you may not have to take an IELTS or equivalent test.

Contact us using application query form if you want to check.

International Year One

Study the International Year one in January and progress directly onto the second year of your chosen undergraduate degree in September.

Equivalent to the first year of an undergraduate degree, the International Year One provides academic and English language support specifically designed to meet the needs of international students. The level of English support is based on your IELTS score, with options for IELTS lower than 6.5 and an option for IELTS higher than 6.5.

You can choose to apply for one of the following subject routes:

International Year One in Business and Management

International Year One in Computer Science

International Year One in Economics

International Year One in Electronic Engineering

You can find out how to apply to a pathway programme or apply directly using the online application form.

International Foundation Year

If you are an international student who does not meet the direct entry requirements for an undergraduate degree, you can study an International Foundation Year at the Royal Holloway International Study Centre.

Students can choose to apply for one of the following programmes:

Upon successful completion of one of these pathway programmes, you can progress to study an undergraduate course at Royal Holloway, University of London. You can find out how to apply to a pathway programme or apply directly using the online application form.

Certain academic departments at Royal Holloway consider transfers into the second year of an undergraduate programme on a case-by-case basis.

We are unable to accept transfers into third year for any of our courses.

To be considered for second year entry, you will need to:

  • meet the first-year entry requirements for the programme and
  • have achieved grades equivalent to an upper second class honours in your first year at university.

Details of all of our undergraduate degrees, including entry requirements, can be found here.

Students can apply for second year entry through UCAS. If you have any questions, please contact us using Unibuddy.

Explore Royal Holloway

Get help paying for your studies at Royal Holloway through a range of scholarships and bursaries.

There are lots of exciting ways to get involved at Royal Holloway. Discover new interests and enjoy existing ones.

Heading to university is exciting. Finding the right place to live will get you off to a good start.

Whether you need support with your health or practical advice on budgeting or finding part-time work, we can help.

Discover more about our academic departments and schools.

Find out why Royal Holloway is in the top 25% of UK universities for research rated ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.

Royal Holloway is a research intensive university and our academics collaborate across disciplines to achieve excellence.

Discover world-class research at Royal Holloway.

Discover more about who we are today, and our vision for the future.

Royal Holloway began as two pioneering colleges for the education of women in the 19th century, and their spirit lives on today.

We’ve played a role in thousands of careers, some of them particularly remarkable.

Find about our decision-making processes and the people who lead and manage Royal Holloway today.